From the BBC: For the first time in 28 years, Tom Baker is returning to his role as the Fourth Doctor in a series of five thrilling audio adventures from BBC Audiobooks. Doctor Who: Hornets' Nest is written by the acclaimed Paul Magrs and stars Tom alongside a cast including Richard Franklin as Mike Yates, Susan Jameson as Mrs Wibbsey and Rula Lenska as the Hornet Queen.
The brand new series sees the Doctor on fighting form as he comes up against an enemy of unimaginable power and horrific intent. The first story, The Stuff of Nightmares, will be available to buy from 3rd September 2009 priced at £9.78, with the remaining four stories due for release on:
2. The Dead Shoes – 8th October
3. The Circus of Doom – 5th November
4. A Sting in the Tale – 3rd December
5. Hive of Horror – 3rd December
The series will also be available as a download from www.audible.co.uk.
Baker is often voted as the most popular Doctor by fans. Commenting on his performance, writer Paul Magrs said, "This is the first adventure with the Tom Baker Doctor since Logopolis. And it feels fantastic to write for him. I would say he's a brilliant mixture of everything the Fourth Doctor ever was. He's dark and sombre at times; other times he's gleefully macabre and mischievous."
Fans eager to engage with the series before the release date should check out www.bbcshop.com/hornetsnest, where a dedicated page for the series will launch on 10th August. The page will contain exclusive content and material such as a Q&A with Tom Baker, photographs from the recordings, audio clips and a poll on Tom’s best moments as the Doctor.
Doctor Who: Hornet's Nest - The Stuff of Nightmares
1 hour on 1 CD
Release date: 3rd September 2009
Responding to an advert apparently worded for him alone, Captain Mike Yates (retired) is reunited with a ghost from the past. But why has the Doctor, that mysterious traveller in Time and Space, sent for his former UNIT acquaintance? Trapped by a horde of vicious creatures in an apparently innocuous English country cottage, the two old friends are on the brink of an enormous adventure. As the Doctor relates his recent escapades, it becomes clear to Mike that they – and the Earth at large – are facing an enemy of unimaginable power and horrific intent. The nightmare is only just beginning…
NOTES TO EDITORS
- Photographs from the recordings are available upon request
- Full cast – Tom Baker, Richard Franklin, Susan Jameson, Daniel Hill, Michael Maloney, Rula Lenska, Clare Corbett, Christian Rodska, Susie Riddell, Jilly Bond and Stephen Thorne.
- Other credits – Producer and Director: Kate Thomas; Script Editor and Executive Producer: Michael Stevens.
- Paul Magrs is the acclaimed writer of the Brenda and Effie novels (Never the Bride; Conjugal Rites) numerous Doctor Who books (Sick Building; Verdigris etc) and several books for younger readers (Strange Boy; Exchange).
The covers of the series are spectacularly illustrated by Ben Willsher, with design concepts and the Hornets' Nest logo by Anthony Dry