Friday, March 19, 2010

Press Pack From BBC

I found this at Pop Culture Zoo and parts from the BBC site. The latest BBC Press Pack has a look ahead at the new series of Doctor Who featuring interviews with the two lead actors and the new production team. The new run of episodes begins April 3rd on BBC One in the UK, April 17th on BBC America in the US and April 18th on ABC1 in Australia.

Steven Moffat spoke about the casting of Matt Smith as the eleventh Doctor and Karen Gillan as companion Amy Pond:

“I had a clear idea, which actually turned out to be the absolute opposite of what we ended up doing – which always happens when you get the casting right. I actually remember at the beginning of the process when I got a little bit cross whilst looking at the list of actors as it was full of people in their twenties. I said to everyone that we couldn’t have a Doctor who is 27. My idea was that the person was going to be between 30–40 years old, young enough to run but old enough to look wise. Then, of course, Matt Smith comes through the door and he’s odd, angular and strange looking. He doesn’t come across as being youthful at all, in the most wonderful way.”

“The challenge with casting the Companion is that there are only so many people that would actually go through those blue doors. It has to be someone that loves adventure and doesn’t quite feel at home with where they are. They have to be a feisty, fun-loving and gutsy person – and now we’ve got Karen Gillan. She was just exactly right for the role despite inhabiting Amy Pond in a way that was quite different from how I originally wrote the part.”

Steven added this about what he feels is the most important aspect of Doctor Who:

“I think it is centrally vital for Doctor Who that at its heart and in its soul it is a children’s programme. Not one that excludes adults, but one that welcomes them in. But when Doctor Who is really working, when it really delivers, the entire audience is eight years old – whatever age they started out!”

Karen Gillan had this to say about her character, Amy:

“Well, for a start Steven Moffat has written a brilliant character. I do think Amy is different from previous Companions because she’s very equal to the Doctor. She doesn’t take his word as gospel and she’s always happy to challenge him. If he tells her to do something then she won’t necessarily do it, she might go off and do her own thing which can sometimes create a rift between the two of them! They are best pals though and it’s a very up and down relationship because they are both very passionate people.”

And about her co-star and his portrayal of the iconic Time Lord:

“I think Steven said it perfectly; Matt manages to be old and young at the same time. That’s the great thing about the Doctor; he has the energy and mischief of a young child as well as the wisdom, age and intelligence of someone a lot older. Also, with Matt’s performance in particular, he’s so believable that he isn’t human. He has all these things that he does that make you really believe he is an alien or a Time Lord and you’re drawn in by that.”

The man himself, Matt Smith had this to say about the newly regenerated Doctor:

“He is still the same man but I think my Doctor is a bit more reckless; he’s a thrill-seeker and addicted to time travel. He is the mad buffoon genius who saves the world because he’s got a great heart, spirit and soul but he also doesn’t suffer fools. I hope all of these things come across but I think I’ve also injected a bit of my own personality into the role. I also helped choose the Doctor’s costume which was great fun. Steven Moffat was very keen the outfit isn’t seen as the overriding factor of the Doctor’s personality but we still needed to find something that felt right. We tried on lots of things but kept reaching a dead end and we dismissed a number of items including a long leather coat, a long blue coat and some short punky stuff! But then one day I brought in my braces and a tweed jacket and it went from there. Soon we had the whole outfit although something still felt like it was missing and I asked if I could try on a bow tie – at that point the execs all bowed their heads in concern but luckily when I tried it on we agreed it worked and it has sort of become the signature of my Doctor now.”

Matt also commented on his co-star and her character:

“I always used to look forward to us being in make-up together, we would just make each other crack up. I think that’s important because it forms part of the energy of the show. I also think the Doctor and Amy share a slightly mad relationship; she’s a handful and he likes the fact she challenges him and can sometimes act a bit bonkers. The way they are introduced to each other is truly magical and they form a deep affinity for one another.”

The new Doctor also teased some of his favorite moments from the upcoming series:

“I loved filming the vampire stuff in Croatia which doubled up for Venice. I had to climb a huge bell tower with a rain machine pummelling water at me. It was freezing cold but I absolutely loved it! I also enjoyed filming part of episode 10 when I was yanked through the air on a harness after being hit by an invisible monster. However, my favourite scene to film was in episode one when I ate fish fingers and custard with Amelia. Luckily they were actually breaded cakes so it wasn’t quite as bad as it sounds. I had to eat a lot of them but it was an enchanting scene so it was worth it.”

No comments: